A memorable social work

During my first year of graduation, all students were requested to complete a 90 hour social service work in an NGO. I visited The Akanksha Foundation near my locality that ran non-formal educational programme for less privileged children in Mumbai and Pune. I entered the building and met a lady, who was in charge of the social work programme. I told her the reason I wanted to join the NGO, she asked me some random questions, about how I could contribute and, when she felt that I would be a suitable volunteer for the NGO she finally told me to join from the next day.


The next day, once I returned from college post lunch I reached Akanksha at sharp 2:50 pm. I waited for a couple of minutes and notied two mini busses from which children flocked out wearing colourful T-shirts i.e. Red, Orange Green, Blue and Yellow, having the word 'Akanksha' written on it. They all first looked at me in a surprised way, as I was an unknown figure for them, but they still greeted me saying 'Good Afternoon didi.' Soon the lady whom I had met the previous day, along with the staff teachers arrived in their personal cars. Along with them, I entered the building, the volunteer in charge told me to assist the teacher with the 7th standard English lessons.

I entered a small class which compromised of wooden benches and 10-15 students, they made lot of noise as they opened their books, the teacher noticed me and told me to come inside, she later introduced me to the children saying 'Meet Pooja didi, she will be with us from now onwards till some months, she will be helping you all with English and maths classes.'  Soon the students accepted me as their friend and helped me to make them understand some studying concepts.  From their my journey with them began, after college, I used to be in a happy mood while meeting my little friends, sometimes I used to assist the teachers taking their reading lessons, giving them comprehension passages, helping them solve maths problems and much more.


Along with studies, many activities also used to take place, like kite flying, celebration of Christmas, clean the city and many more. Flying a kite for the first time was a very memorable moment for me, even cleaning the city with my little friends was very interesting. But soon a sad news appeared, the class teacher I was assisting was soon moving abroad permanently. In place of her a new class teacher was going to come the next day. I could understand the feeling that the little children were experiencing, after being under a teacher since many years, suddenly being replaced with a new teacher was difficulty not only for them but for me too. Initially I too faced lot of problem adjusting with the new teacher, at that point all the little children became very close to me, the only way I could find was to make them understand that I would be only with them for few more moths, but this new teacher would be with them for a longer period, so accepting her and giving her a chance to prove that she is the best could be done only by these children.

As I had expected the students didn't take much time to accept their new teacher. When I finished my time duration, they were very sad, ' We are parting with a friend ', they all said, it was a very touching moment for me. They gave me a BIG CARD as a token for their rememberance, and I also  gave them a SMILEY keychain as a token of my remembrance, I even promised to visit the class  whenever they call me or whenever I  feel so.  


The Akanksha NGO gave me a certificate as a prove of my 90 hour social work along with that I was glad to receivec a lot of love, affection and care from the entire NGO family. Later many a times I did pay a visit to the NGO, the students used to get happy noticing me. They never wished me to leave but when I promised them so as to meet them regularly they used to turn happy, and everyday patiently waiting for my arrival.


This was a memorable social work for me, which helped to make new friends and my contribution towards educating the upcoming future generation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour Psychology Therapy

Lets heal ourselves