A Memorable Social Work

During my first year of graduation, all students were requested to complete a 90-hour social service by working in an NGO. I soon visited ‘The Akanksha Foundation’, near my locality, which runs a non-formal educational program for less privileged children in Mumbai and Pune. I entered the building and met a lady who was in charge of the social work program. I told her the reason I wanted to join the NGO. She asked me some random questions about how I could contribute to the NGO and, when she felt that I would be a suitable volunteer, she finally told me to join from the next day.

The next day, I reached home from college, had my lunch, and left for my first day at Akanksha at sharp 2:50 p.m. As it was my first day, I had no idea about the action in the place. As I was very early, I saw nobody present there; I thought of waiting until 3.
Suddenly, two minibuses arrived there with children in them; as they came out, all were wearing colorful T-shirts in Red, Orange Green, Blue and Yellow, having the word “Akanksha” written on them.
They all first looked at me in a surprised way, as I was an unknown figure for them, but they still greeted me, saying “Good afternoon, didi”, which made me feel like a respectable person. Soon, the lady whom I had met the previous day arrived in her personal car, followed by the staff of Akanksha. Along with them, I entered the building, where the volunteer in charge told me to assist the teacher with the 7th Standard English lessons.
I entered a small class, with around 10- 15 students sitting and making a lot of noise the teacher who was present inside noticed me and told me to come inside, she later introduced me to the children saying “This is Pooja Didi, she will be with us from now onwards for a couple of  months, she will be helping you all in the English and Maths classes.” Soon the class accepted me as their friend and helped me to make them understand some studying concepts.  From then on, my journey with them began. After college, I used to be in a happy mood while meeting my little friends; sometimes I used to assist the teachers in taking their reading lessons, giving them comprehension passages, helping them solve maths problems, and much more.
Along with studies, many activities also used to take place there, like the celebration of kite flying, the celebration of Christmas, cleaning the city, and many more such activities. I also used to be a part of it; flying a kite for the first time was a very memorable moment for me even cleaning the city with my little friends was very interesting. But soon, sad news was heard that the class teacher I was assisting was moving abroad and was soon going to leave Akanksha. In place of her, a new class teacher was going to come the next day. I could understand the feeling that the little children were experiencing; after being under a teacher for many years, suddenly being replaced with a new teacher was difficult not only for them but for me too. Initially I too faced lot of problems adjusting with her, at that point all the little children became very close to me, the only way I could find was to make them understand that I would be only with them for few more months, but this teacher would be with them for a long time, so accepting her and giving her a chance to prove that she is the best could be done only by these children.
As I had expected, the children didn’t take much time to accept their new teacher; they not only respected her, but also accepted her as their new teacher. I was happy to see that twist among them all, and was now also trying to adjust with her. When I finished my time duration, they were very sad, “We are parting with a friend”, they all said. It was a very touching moment for me. They gave me a BIG CARD as a token of their remembrance, and I also gave them a SMILEY keychain as a token of my remembrance. I even promised to visit them whenever they call me or whenever I feel so.  
The Akanksha NGO gave me a certificate as proof that I had completed my 90-hour social work with them, and I was glad that along with the completion of my work, I also got a lot of love, affection, care, and a respected life from the whole NGO.
Sometimes during my college time, I used to visit them, and they used to be so happy seeing me that they didn’t want me to leave. But when I promised them  I would come and meet them regularly, they became very happy, and every day they used to be patiently waiting for me and our interaction.
This was a memorable social work for me, which helped me to make new friends and become a part of Akanksha, through which I could teach the upcoming future generation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An unexpected train experience

Colors and their magical effects